History Of The Society


The Society of Arts and Sciences is very fortunate to still have in its possession the minute books from the Society’s founding in 1913.   A digest of these minutes was compiled in 1987 by its then chairman Frances Hoyos and we are pleased to reproduce these below, along with additional information regarding Welwick House, the original rules of the Society and a history of the Society written in 2008.

The Society began its life in 1913 at Welwick House, a large establishment which was located on the corner of the site which is now Hillington Square and All Saints’ Street.   You can read more about Welwick House here.

The files below are in pdf format and some being rather large may take a few moments to load.

The Society’s Minutes Vol.1 1913-1919

The Society’s Minutes Vol.2&3 1919-1929

The Society’s Minutes Vol.4 1929-1939

The Society’s Minutes Vol.5 1939-1945

The Society’s Minutes Vol.5 1945-1954

The Society’s Minutes Vol.6 1953-1963

The Society’s Minutes Postscript 1963-1989

Rules of The Society 1913

Renovation of Welwick House 1913

A History of Welwick House 1914

KLSAS Logo small